I always get lost at Daley

So, for 2 years I have made routes and plotted out this ride just to never actually do it because of the heat or the climbing or the time needed or...

That all ended yesterday. All my typical excuses didn't come into play. I'm pretty fit right now so the distance and climbing wouldn't get in the way. The high was like 75 degrees, so basically perfect. I have a pretty good understanding of how to navigate the Vista Hills. And I have a new mapping capable device (probably more on that in the future). I even almost had company, and then I didn't, but by the point that fell through I was convinced I was going.

The route is mostly dirt and could be done on a well set up cx bike but a mtb definitely made it more fun and quite a bit faster.


I road through the Vista Hills up El Farrar which has a name like it is road, but don't fall for that, it's not. However, I cleaned more of that loose rut infested 12% average grade then ever before. It was shaping up to be a good ride.


From there I made my way to what is probably the highest point in Vista and even though civilization is mere miles away it feels like it is incredibly remote.


I should mention of piece of kit on that bike. The Speed Tuned Evo Race Carbon wheels. They've got nearly 2,000 miles on them and I don't even think about them because they are as stiff and true as the day I got em.


After the Hills, I proceeded over to and up good old Cougar Pass into Daley Ranch. This is the third time I have ridden Daley. The first time I got a guided tour. The second time I got royally lost trying to recreate the guided tour route. Like really turned around lost. Not fearing for my life or anything like that, I just didn't have a clue how to get to anywhere I wanted to ride. This time I did much better, thanks to my mapping gizmo, but I still got turned around several times. I did some stuff out of order, backwards, and twice. Eventually though, I got to Stanely Peak.


I got to see parts of Daley I had never seen before on this adventure. I can't say that most of the trails are anything to write about, however the views of the meadows, the lake, and the surrounding countryside are stunning. What's also stunning is the amount of coyote poop. Seriously, do coyotes ever poop in the grass or woods? Are they like rabbits where it just comes out constantly without their will? And a lot of it was fresh....

Anyhow, after looping around a bit and then eventually finding the new restrooms and water stop I meandered back towards Cougar Pass, went the rest of the way up, and then out towards Vista again. As I was heading back up the dirt road Gist I was stopped by two security guards who said a new developer placed them there to call the police if anyone went pass them. Something seemed all together fishy about it but I turned and went another way. 

I cruised home on surprisingly fresh legs for the stats of the ride. I realized shortly after I got home that I only had two servings of CarboRocket 333 and 3 homemade gingerbread cookies during the whole ride. I was hungry! After I crushed 3 all beef hot dogs I held off for a few hours for my favorite snack.


Don't let the looks of that deceive you. That's 1 cup of Greek yogurt, 1 cup of cinnamon Rice Chex, 1 cup of Kashi Go-Lean cinnamon, 5 strawberries (they're back in season!), 1/4 cup of blueberries, 1/4 cup of raspberries, 1/4 cup of blackberries, and 2 tablespoons of local tropical honey. It's hard to believe something healthy can taste this good!

After a few years of contemplating, I now know that this ride is totally doable and a great one for base miles with elevation. Maybe next time I'll get some people to go with me.

Comments