Maxxis Re-Fuse Tire Long-Term Review


So, if there is one piece of kit I get asked about most, it is probably about what tires I use on my road/gravel/cross bike. I've been riding cross bikes as "all-around" bikes for years now and I'm stoked that the "all-purpose-pretty-good-at-everything-master-of-none" jack of all trades bike is now a legit shareholder in the biking market. That means better frames and components because the industry is competing to take our money, er, give us the best products. 

Maxxis wasn't typically one of the first brands I would look to for skinny tires. Until about a year ago my knowledge of their skinny tires was pretty much just the old Mud Wrestler. Then the TASCO-MTB squad got a sponsorship deal with them for their mountain bike tires because when it comes to combining durability, weight, performance, and price, they are top notch. I'm sure happy we did, because that support led me to purchasing the Re-Fuse. Here is the long-term review of the Maxxis Re-Fuse.

The 32mm Tubeless Ready Re-Fuse.

My first set of Re-Fuse tires were the 28mm non-tubeless ready versions. They are an inexpensive tire that can be found for under $30 a piece. The 28's with tubes were great, they performed so well that as soon as the 32 TR's were in stock I ordered a set (stock levels can be an issue with Maxxis, so if you see the tires you want available you best get them before they are gone).

The ride feel and anti-flat confidence of tubeless is something you have to experience to really understand. However, sometimes it takes some work to have that experience because tires just don't want to seat. It can be the tires, the rims, the technique, or a combo of all three. One Re-Fuse gave me some trouble and took every trick I know to get it to seat and the other popped right on with the compressor. Once they were set up with some sealant it took about 3 rides for them to stop losing a little air over night. I've got over 800 miles on these tires and the little extra effort to get these going has been worth it.
32mm with over 800 miles on it. Still lots of life left.

You can see what Maxxis calls the Diamond Knurled Slick Design of the tread in the picture above. It rolls well and the resistance isn't really noticeable for the surprising amount of grip it supplies. So, let's get into the details of all that.

I've found that with tubeless tires (under 45mm wide) the best psi for me is just above the point where I can stand up and hammer uphill and the tire doesn't flop/fold over. However, since getting these tires set up I haven't been switching wheelsets to have more tread for dirt heavy rides (I usually find some dirt somewhere) over pavement heavy rides. I leave the wheelset with the Re-Fuse tires on and slightly adjust the pressure. For dirt heavy rides I ride at about 43 psi and for pavement hammer-fest rides I jack that pressure all the way to 48 psi. That's right, 48 psi for hammer-fest group rides on the road. The tires are super comfy, and plenty fast.

Great for Pathletes.

On the road the 32's are only slightly more resistant than the 28's. Where this is noticed most is long downhills. There is something about the rolling resistance that on fast long downhills I am not going as fast as the other riders. If I were to only use these tires for pavement and the occasional gravel or dirt I would probably stick to the 28's, but I wanted a do-it-all (you'll see what I mean below) tire so I'll happily give up a little speed downhill.

Dirt roads for breakfast.

The Re-Fuse comes into its own on DG/dirt/sand. There is an odd feeling on this terrain were you feel like there should be more rolling resistance for the amount of grip you are getting. It's hard to explain, but others who have tried the 28's and the 40's have expressed the same qaulity. And, if you are comfortable with the CX corner drift, the tires do great going into deep sandy corners hot. There is an initial drift and then catch catch. Fun stuff if you are okay with that drifting feeling.

Smoothing out the gravel washboards.

Maxxis markets the tires as a training all-rounder tire and a gravel tire so it does well in gravel too. With the right pressure I have had no problem climbing gravel hills out of the saddle and not losing grip.
Vacant lot pump track? Sure, why not.

Single track. Not everyone will use this tire on single track which is probably a good idea. However, if you are the type of rider who's routes are are based upon linking all the terrains together, or if you see a goat trail off the route and you'll turn in to see where it goes, the TR 32's will get you through. You won't set any PR's, but the tires are tough and grip enough to thoroughly underbike.

All in all, the Maxxis Re-Fuse 32mm TR is probably the best all-around tire I have used to date. The 28's are a bit faster on the road and still plenty capable off-pavement, but if you have just one wheelset and you want to ride anywhere you fancy that day the 32's are the hot ticket. Either size would work well if you are someone who seeks out rides like the Belgian Waffle Ride 2018 or just likes the possibility of mixing surfaces. 

Comments